Tuesday, September 25, 2012

quarter dozen

"I aspire to one day owe thousands and thousands of dollars to multiple billion dollar corporations."  I'm sorry, that is the American dream, isn't it?  I'm not sure I've heard any kids saying that.  They'd better start.  It's hard to choke down the reality of adulthood if you haven't been properly lubricated with cynicism. 

Boy, using the words "choke" and "lubricated" there really took that to a dark place...

Whatever, that's not even what I came on to say, it was just a phrase that popped into my head after pondering the ridiculous math going on in my post title, which is a reference to the number of donuts I've ingested just this morning in an effort to offset the good feelings that might have come from my minor amount of productivity this morning.

More than halfway through Tuesday, and I haven't yet done any real work, and especially not the work I wanted to have done by last Friday.  But you know, I did make a to-do list.  That was a good first step, getting organized and making a prioritized list.  I love checking things off a list!  Seriously, just check all my bullshit video game trophies/achievements.  Give me a game where you need to find 20,000 of something and a collection of maps showing me where to find them, and I will be your obedient dog and I will fetch them.

This list ignited a bit of other minor productivity.  I realized if I was going to get caught up and not feel so suffocated, I had to go through my inbox and at least get up to speed on where everything is at.  It took me all morning, over 450 emails, but now I'm all caught up.  A whole bunch of stuff was added to the to-do list, but getting through that inbox was a huge undertaking.  Even though my task list is daunting now, just getting through that inbox was an important milestone.

I've taken care of most of the emergency stuff, but now the real challenge - making real progress on my actual assignments, my core work.  I have a huge pile of work to do with a firm due date at the end of the week.  If I eat another donut, I'll puke.  I took a shower, I've got laundry going.  It's time to face it, no more working around it, it's time to grit my teeth and do some real actual work!

Oooohhh, man....  this is tough.  I don't know, man...

Oh, wait a minute!  I know!  I can write a blog post!  That will hold off doing my work for at least another 15 minutes!

sweet...

1 comment:

  1. This is a well-crafted post. Much enjoyed. Thoroughly understood.

    ReplyDelete