This weekend my whole project team has to work Saturday night, starting at 11pm through around 7am Sunday morning. It's going to be high pressure, it's going to be a pain in the ass, and it's going to be really interesting to see how all these people start to act when they start getting loopy.
I don't know if this makes it better or worse that, but if things go ok, I'm really just going to be sort of watching and not doing anything the whole night. I'll be on the conference call, I'll be watching as others share their desktops, but I don't actually have any assigned tasks. I'm there to help put the fires out if things get really fucked, but these people are smart (and not just bullshit smart, but actually smart), so I don't anticipate any real problems. On one hand, it's nice that I won't have much to do, because the people that are doing the work are going to be fatigued and under a lot of pressure, imagine trying to do brain surgery at 3am. I'm glad I'm not one of them because fuck that, been there done that, no thanks. On the other hand, damn it's going to be a long night just sitting here and listening and watching other people run programs.
My last project, every time we had a big deal like this, I was the one quarterbacking the whole thing, so this is definitely a change for me to be more of a spectator. But on that other project, I knew what I was doing, this new project, not so much. I liked feeling important on that last project, being the new guy in this group has really brought out my insecurities, but there's something to be said for having other people shoulder the pressure now and then.
------------
On a different topic, Max's largest dreadlock fell out the other day. If anyone would like a nine inch long chunk of matted white fluff, let me know.
Oh, what's that? I have the most awesome cat ever?
Yup, I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment