I can't write, I have no pen.
Buy a pen.
I can't write, I have no paper.
Buy paper.
This pen smudges too much, it's a pain
Ten months later, discover perfect pen.
This paper is dusty and I don't like this type of paper any more.
Three months later, buy new paper.
Attempt longhand story creation for approximately seven minutes.
Discard longhand writing.
Six months to research writing software.
Six months to purchase hardware necessary.
Wait additional six months for newest version of software to be released.
Eight months paralysis due to software learning curve.
Finally start learning new software, fifteen minute time investment.
Resolve to maybe start writing one day.
That was all made up, but it's a pretty good scenario describing how I never end up doing some of the things I wish I were doing in my life. I could just grab some notecards and a pen and knock out a bunch of 40 plot point story outlines and start from there, you know, the actually creative part of the writing, the meat of it. But I allow myself to get distracted by all the BS, telling myself I need the make the environment perfect before I even begin.
A real life example... as a teenager in a guitar shop for a guitar lesson, I could see all these beautiful guitars, some of them cost thousands of dollars. It was easy to say, well, I can't reach my potential with my super cheap beginner guitar, I won't be able to really do anything with this, I need those expensive things to really be able to play. But then my guitar instructor takes my cheap guitar and just fucking shreds on the thing. And that's when I realized that a lot of money is made off of people making excuses and/or trying to buy their way in rather than earn their skill through hard work.
My key issue, with both the screenplays and the music, is that I'm afraid of putting in the hard work for nothing. I'm afraid of spending hours upon hours over years, only to never have anything good to show for it, to fail. I'm afraid of spending all that time only to end up empty, without a single thing to be proud of.
So I end up playing those games. I keep running out of excuses only to make more. As of now, I have a computer less than a year old that should last a long time. I have screenplay software that I really didn't even need because long ago I had programmed a shitload of macros into Microsoft Word to do all the formatting for me. I have recording software and hardware, thinking I just need to start with guitar. Then I've even got a microphone, so if I dared to even try to sing, I can do that now, hell, I even bought a pop filter, still in the packaging. And what the hell for, I don't even sing in the fucking shower! I'm too timid even in front of myself to try to sing! But even all that wasn't good enough, I couldn't even get started with that, no, I said to myself I needed to get a MIDI keyboard, then I could have the capability to write and record the music that I want to.
Ok, so now I've got all that, I've learned just enough of the software that I can start recording. So what's the deal, what's the holdup? The excuses were never really valid in the first place, and now I don't even have any excuses left. Now it's just me and my fear and my reluctance to put in the hard work.
Dood. I'm coming over and we're gonna record some terrible music and just get that garbage out of the way.
ReplyDelete