Friday, October 5, 2012

the great dictator

All this talk of politics reminded me of one of my favorite YouTube videos.  I watch it every now and again, makes me tear up every damn time. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WibmcsEGLKo

For the longest time, I only thought of Charlie Chaplin as a silent film star who did whimsical slapstick, I've still never seen any of his movies, just clips.  But I had no idea the dude had this in him until I stumbled across this video one day.  Amazing speech, add some beautiful music (Eno, I think?), splice in a bunch of modern images, good stuff.

Here's the same speech with a bit more context before it starts, edited with a different song in the background, but there's no modern footage spliced in, just the original movie.  If I had to choose just one, I like the first one, but this is good too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2WJd5bXFg

No comments:

Post a Comment