Dug my NES out of a basement storage cabinet and plugged it in, hooked it up to the 13" inch tv I bought when I was 12, and popped in Final Fantasy. It all still works. Even still has the last save I made with my party of four white wizards just before beating the game with them. The characters are named after the three cats we owned at the time and my in-laws dog, which means the wife and I didn't have our dog yet. That pegs it at 2003, maybe early 2004, since I last turned that thing on. Can that be right? I don't know, I'll have to think about that one, I thought it had been a few years, but wow, I didn't realize it had been that long.
But then again, playing the original Final Fantasy cartridge on an NES was already kind of nuts back in 2003, so maybe it has been that long.
I had to take it a step further, though. I ordered myself a 3.5mm to compositve converter cable and hooked the NES up to the flat screen I dismantled from my old PSOne (remember those?). So now I can play Final Fantasy, on my original Nintendo, on a tiny 12 year old, 5" Sony flat screen with built in speakers and a headphone jack.
Uh-oh... who's going to be laying in bed playing Final Fantasy all night tonight like he's in junior high again? The wife is going to be thrilled.
No comments:
Post a Comment