Thursday, February 7, 2013

can't think of a title, sorry

I hate getting hit with a stomach bug, spewing is the worst.  I haven't had a meal in over a week now, just munching a small handfuls of Cheerios here and there.  Ugh...  I'm mostly better now, but the ability to eat is coming back slowly.

If there's one thing I can appreciate about being sick is the imperative and all-consuming nature of it.  For weeks and months and years, I fret and worry and pace over all of life's problems, all of the complex interactions between my dreams and reality, the push and pull of reponsibilities and desires.  You know, that kind of thing.  But then once I start throwing up, ALL of that is wiped away.  It is hell, I hate it so much.  It's an odd thing, though, coming back to the same worries I left behind a week ago.  When is the last time I had a break from these worries?  It's not like I'm better off or I'm happy to have gotten sick, it's just a strange sensation to realize that the things I normally obsess over weren't really on my mind for awhile. 

It reminds me of a co-worker of mine, many years ago.  He did not get on well with our boss, and while I think this boss in his heart was a decent guy, he had a hard time NOT being a total dick and he was especially a dick to this co-worker.  Then this co-worker's wife died unexpectedly.  When he returned to work, our boss was nice to him for awhile because he was genuinely sorry and sensitive to my co-worker's grief.  I remember my co-worker, with a cycnical laugh, commenting on how strange it felt to have the boss be nice to him for once. 

I'm articulationg this very poorly, but the common thread here is having something negative consume your mind completely, only to have something even more negative and more consuming temporarily wash the other thing away.  I don't know why I'm stuck on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment