Friday, August 10, 2012

the very crazy caterpillar

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/son-sam-david-berkowitz-speaks-daily-news-decries-violence-senseless-prays-victims-notorious-1976-77-killing-spree-article-1.1133269

Interesting read. I wonder, how divisive this article is. Mangling my words here, sorry. What I mean is, I wonder how divergent the reactions are to this article based on whether the reader is a Christian or an atheist. As a Christian, I felt my faith encouraged. But then I have to imagine that the same would be true for an atheist, that it would strengthen his/her disdain towards religion as a crock, a refuge for the ignorant, evil, or otherwise guilt-ridden people looking for some sort of false redemption to assuage their guilt.

Either way, it's kind of hard to reconcile the present day man with his past actions.  I've heard that "people can change".  And I know a lot of people don't believe that very much.  I don't hear a lot of people pay lip service to the idea that maybe some people can change and maybe others not so much. 

But I'm in over my head.  Let me take a theologian, a neuroscientist, a philosopher, and a wise elderly relative, tie them up in a sack and throw them in a river and then go get a pizza.  Maybe by the time I've wiped the grease from my chin, they'll have figured it out, dried themselves off, and can get back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment