I almost never buy movies. Except for kids movies, which will be viewed millions of times by my kids. But today, I had to make an exception. Best Buy's deal of the day was their Christopher Nolan collection on Blu-Ray for $20. Darn them. About half a dozen times, I almost bought Inception and/or The Dark Knight. So getting them for, basically, ten bucks each but then throwing Memento, Batman Begins, and Insomnia on top of that? Ok, sold. Memento is great too, but I already have the DVD. Batmin Begins and Insomnia, I liked them ok, but I'm not sure I'd ever take the time to watch them again, but put it all together and that's quite a deal for $20.
Best Buy got me on Saturday too, with their deal of the day. The wife and I were just debating whether or not to get a remote car starter. She's wanted one for years and we were talking about getting one with the new car, but they're so expensive! And then I checked my email and Best Buy just happened to have a deal on a remote car starter for almost 60% off.
And last week, I took them up on the deal to get a $50 iTunes card for $40.
After over a year of getting their deal of the day in my inbox and never taking them up on anything, all the sudden I go ahead on three of them. I'd better unsubscribe to the daily deal email or I'll be out of money soon, if this keeps up.
Yikes, this post started off mundane and then took a turn for the horrifically boring, sorry about that.
After much thought, the wife and I are almost surely about to buy a new car. I'm just not a used car guy, if I can help it. That sounds very snobby, let me explain. I don't mean I need a new car every two years. I'm a cradle to the grave kind of guy with cars. We have two cars that we bought new and they are now both over ten years old with around 150,000 miles on them. Now one of them is having major issues and needs thousands of dollars of repairs and we decided it's just not worth it, but if they were both running well, I would never consider buying something different.
So sure, for five or six years, we had two moderately sized car payments to make. But we made it through and then went on to enjoy over five years without making a car payment of any kind. It's been wonderful and it's totally spoiled us, to the point that now I'm just sick thinking about having a car payment again. What if I get laid off? What if our other old car starts having major problems as well? All that same old nonsense. We could go with a used car and not get so deep in debt for it, but still, I think my strategy is sound and we'll be happier if we stick with it - we buy new and, God willing, the car lasts 10+ years. I prefer that over buying used at half the cost but then having to replace it in five years, dig? Seems like we come out ahead and end up happier doing cradle to grave.
But damn, it's a big decision, you know? The price of a new car, those are some big numbers we're looking at, a big monthly payment, for probably 60 months, ouch. And then even besides the money issue, deciding on a vehicle that we plan on having for over 10 years? That's kind of intimidating, it's almost like buying a house. Whatever we decide to buy, if things go well, that's what we're going to have for 10 years. We'd better think everything through and know what we're doing because we're going to be stuck with it for a long, long time.
Making a big purchase is always kind of exciting and fun, in a way, but honestly, I kind of just want the decision making part of it to be over so I can just start living with the choices we made rather than sweating over them.
No comments:
Post a Comment