At some point, I'd forgotten the aural therapy of "Headphones" by Bjork. 17 years ago, this fan, having just purchased Björk's second solo album, felt that this was a remarkably bland song to close the album. Especially after getting my blood up with songs like "Army of Me", "Enjoy", and "I Miss You". I liked her music for her unique singing and for the electronic-oriented songs, it was different than anything else I'd heard and I loved it, but then it closes with "Headphones", which is definitely more ambient, something I hadn't really gotten into yet. It's not an obviously good song. If you hopped in your car and put this on the radio, it would be pretty boring and meandering and pointless. But if you have a load on your shoulders and you need to close your eyes and put your head down for a minute, this is a great song.
"I like this resonance. It elevates me. I don't recognize myself. This is very interesting."
There are a number of songs like this, I keep a playlist in my iTunes called "Healing" and it's full of songs that soothe me in various ways. I guess it's sort of a mental medicine cabinet. Taking my entire music collection into the digital realm was a bit daunting for this old man, but I'm so glad I did. The accessibility and playlist abilities are simply wonderful.
Lots of career strife today. Issues with my own job, but I've also been hearing grievances from a couple other people close to me. I guess today is just the day for that sort of thing. I can't really get any work done, though, when I keep trying to deal with everyone else's problems. Of course, I've been more than happy to do that because it's a totally justifiable way of avoiding having to deal with my own problems.
"I'm fast asleep now."
But I can't be fast asleep, I've got work to do. While I'm going through the Björk catalog, I'd be best served by queuing up something like Big Time Sensuality (The Fluke Minimix) to wake back up. If that's not strong enough, then I'll just go nuts with Army of Me (featuring Skunk Anansie), or maybe the anarchy of Declare Independence. If those songs don't wake you up, then just give up for the day, you belong in bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment