Tucking my 3 year old son in last night, we got to talking about numbers. With wide, excited eyes he asked me, "what's bigger than a hundred?" So I told him, "one hundred and one." In an effort to expand his mind, I then went on to explain one thousand, ten thousand, hundred thousand, million, etc... Then he asks:
"What's the biggest number in the whole world?" he asked. I thought to myself, "This is wonderful, getting to the really meaningful concepts of the universe, awesome!".
I replied, "There is no biggest number, numbers just keep going and getting bigger and bigger, on and on, forever. No matter how big a number is, there are always bigger numbers."
"I think the biggest number is thirty eighty."
Ignoring the numerical error, too excited to teach the concept of infinity, I pressed on, "Well, what if you had thirty eighty apples and I gave you one more, what would you get then?"
"I would get fat."
"..."
"..."
"Good night, buddy."
No comments:
Post a Comment